Lynette Bishop (リネット・ビショップ, Rinetto Bishoppu), sometimes "Lynne" to her squadmates, is a witch of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, originating from Britannia and attached with the Britannia Air Force. She is the younger sister of Wilma Bishop, and the daughter of the veteran of the First Neuroi War Minnie Bishop.
Her familiar, like her older sister Wilma, is the Scottish Fold cat, although unlike Wilma the characteristic folding ears of the Scottish Fold are complete.
Fifteen years old, Lynette is the only Witch in the 501st who is native to the Britannian Commonwealth, affiliated with the the Britannian Air Force 610th Fighter Squadron with the rank of Sergeant, later a Flight Sergeant.
Lynne is the daughter of a wealthy and upper class merchant, and Minnie Bishop, a veteran Witch of the First Neuroi War who fought in London. The middle child of eight siblings. Before joined in the Strike Witches, she studied in a school for girls, so that heterosexual contact is very small.
Her father went to college together with Flying Officer Schade's father, and they competed with each other in sports as well as academics. Patricia's family was friendly with the Bishops during her early years, but it seems like Lynette does not remember much of it. Patricia's father sometimes tries to stir up a feeling of rivalry between the two families, but Patricia herself doesn't really seem to care.
When she joined up, after receive basic basic training, Lynne joined the Strike Witches shortly before Yoshika to help protect her homeland. Lynette is assigned to be Yoshika's roommate, where the two quickly become friends. Lynette shows Yoshika around the base, but in doing so shows herself to be withdrawn and lacking confidence. Faced with a surprise attack from the Neuroi, Yoshika helps Lynette overcome her fears, laying the foundation for a close friendship. Later, Lynne's progressed a lot since she scored her first aerial victory.
At the end of the Britannian campaign, she work to rebuild the ruined country of Gallia. Lynne going to Romagna when the 501st Joint Fighter Wing was reformed. During a time, Major Sakamoto sends her, Yoshika and Perrine away to a remote island on the Adriatic Coast for some intensive training with Anna Ferrara, a retired Venezian Witch that makes a living training younger witches (since these girls are never touching Striker Unit for six months). She teaches Lynne and the other Witches how to fly with brooms to let them train their magic control ability.
The middle child of eight siblings, Lynette was sometimes overlooked and developed very domestic and practical habits from helping to take care of them. Because of this, she's very domestic and painfully shy. Plagued by occasional clumsiness and sometimes overlooked, she nevertheless strives to do her best. She's a kind, gentle and obedient girl who still seems a bit helpless at times and finds no joy in fighting, but she joined up recently to protect her homeland when she wanted to be of use to everyone. However, she's strong-willed, obstinate and very reliable.
Apologizing seems to be her first knee-jerk reflex. Also, every time the squadron chips in to help prepare for a difficult mission, her suggestion is tea. She's very good at brewing tea, so she's in charge of tea time. She is also good in cooking, especially candies and sweets.
After she meets Sergeant Miyafuji, the two eventually become best friends. Also, during the Gallia reconstruction, Lynne becomes friends with Flying Officer Clostermann. Her dream had been become a good wife, but her dream changed. Her feelings for her friend Yoshika, while starting out as merely platonic in nature, seems to have grown to something more romantic despite herself; when the 501st was graced with a visit by Adolfine Galland when they were still assigned to the Britannian base, the witch General approached her and asked if she would be interested in joining her unit, explaining the reason for doing so being a result of "love at first sight". Lynne however declined the offer meekly, almost admitting that she "had Yoshika", but stopping herself before completing her sentence and instead making the excuse she wanted to do her best in the 501st .
Lynette serves as the squadron's sharpshooter and possesses the ability to control the flight of projectiles to a limited extent. It would also appear she can charge magical energy into the shots to increase their effectiveness. These powers Ballistic Stabilization (弾道安定, Dandō Antei) and Grant Magic Power (魔法力付与, Mahōryoku Fuyo) allow her to affect bullets and other objects thrown in flight. Classified in the Telekinesis lineage.
For some veterans's words, 'she has the makings to become a good Commander, with her ability to keep an eye on the whole situation from the rear, and has a good sense of grasping the whole picture'.
Her pilot archetype is unclear, but is likely one of the children of famed Canadian WWI pilot Billy Bishop, who is the pilot archetype for Minnie Bishop, Lynette's mother. Lynette also has an older sister, Wilma, who is also a Strike Witch, and likely based on Billy Bishop's son, Arthur. However, her striker unit code based from 610th RAF member, Ellis John (Ranked as Flight Lieutenant), which had DW-N code on his Spitfire Mk1a during Battle of Britain. Not only that, Jackie Mann, shared the same birthday with Lynette Bishop, a pilot which served the Battle of Britain too, joined as Royal Air Force. Mann and Lynette joined the Royal Air Force voluntary. Jackie Mann also engaged in battle with Adolf Galland, which mean it can explain about Lynette Bishop and Adolfine Galland relation.
Lynette principally uses a Boys Anti-Armor Rifle Mk.I in combat, but switched the muzzle brake to one from a Mk.II, since it's easier to use.
Strike Witches “What If?” — 1947Photoshoot just before retirement as Lieutenant. Highest rank is Flt Lieutenant. Although she received officer training as a result of recommendations, her calling was not in battle. After Romagna was freed, she continued exchanging letters with Miyafuji who was pursuing medical study in Fuso.
- This shouldn't be considered entirely canonical, because it was only tweeted by Humikane.
- Himegoe Voice Albums
- Hime Uta Song Albums
- Himebana Drama Albums
- Himeroku Drama Albums
- Strike Witches Gakuen
- Himegoe CD 2 Voice Albums
- Strike Witches Otome no Maki
- Strike Witches 2
- Strike Witches Short-Shorts: After the Sky
- Ichimen no Ao
- Strike Witches 2 Visual Short Story
- 500overs in Africa
- Tenkū no Otome-tachi
- Kimi to Tsunagaru Sora
- Katayoku no Majotachi, mentioned in the first chapter and Epilogue
Lynne's Comments About Other Characters
- "Wing commander Minna is refined and kind, and she's reliable so she works well as the cornerstone of the group. She's really a wonderful person. I look up to her and wish I could be more like her sometimes, because I myself can be quite clumsy."
- "Yoshika...? I can't do anything right, but although Yoshika just recently came here, she cheered me up and also helped me with my first aerial victory! She's very honest and kind; I'm truly grateful!"
- "Major Sakamoto is really strict when it comes to practicing! But she really thinks hard about how to make us new and inexperienced witches into full-fledged ones, so I will do my best! Although it sometimes feels like she's a bit impatient."
- "I wonder why Perrine is so hard on Yoshika? Isn't it strange? Well, it's true that Yoshika can be a little careless sometimes, and that Perrine might get annoyed by that, but... Hm? What I think? I don't really know..."
- "Lucchini? Yes, she suddenly grabbed my breasts and started to rub her chin against them once... I wonder what that was all about...? Ah, and she likes to play pranks, but she's really a good girl."
- "Shirley? Yes, it's like she's Lucchini's mother, isn't it? At first I thought she was a pretty scary person, but she's actually really kind! She's strong, confident and sociable. She's a like a sun!"
- "Flight Lieutenant Barkhorn is very strict on everyone, but she's the most strict on herself. She's very serious, and always pays a great deal of attention to her surroundings in combat so she's really great. But... she's a little scary too."
- "Flying Officer Hartmann? She's like air... I don't really get her. She's amazing in combat, but otherwise she seems a little dreamy... Though I'm happy she'll happily eat anything I serve her."
- "It's thanks to Sanya we can sleep safely during the night. I'd really like to become friends with her, but I'm not really very good at getting to know people..."
- "Eila sometimes does fortune-telling on me with her tarot cards but... does that stuff really turn out right? Everyone else says it always turns out the other way but..."
|Return to 501st JFW|