Rosalie de Hemricourt de Grunne (ロザリー・ド・エムリコート・ド・グリュンネ) is a veteran Witch and honorary commander of the 506th Joint Fighter Wing's A-Unit, originating from Belgica and originally attached to the Britannian Air Force.
Rosalie was born in Belgica, and is the heiress for two families of earls, one Gallian and one Belgican. She's also in line for the Britannian crown, although that relation is quite distant. She fled the country with her family to Britannia when Belgica was devastated by Neuroi.
She has had a long and valiant military service, having fought in the Hispanian military campaign. She also has a lot of experience, and has received regular training as a military officer.
While she was a Flight Lieutenant, she was injured in a battle in Britannia, and while she was under medical care she was offered a promotion to the commanding officer of the 506th JFW. However, since she was getting close to 20, and therefore retirement, she thought it would be too difficult for her and declined. She was later convinced that there was no one else suitable for the position, and as such she accepted, and was promoted to Squadron Leader.
Due to her age, she doesn't command in actual battles, so command during combat is handled by Squadron Leader Wittgenstein, though because Flight Lieutenant Visconti has a similarly proud and somewhat arrogant disposition, their subordinates are put through various hardships.
Rosalie is mild-mannered and gentle, with a sweet and kind heart and a ladylike set of manners. She gives the feeling of an antiquated "Aristocrat Soldier" who has nothing but good will for other people. At a glance, she looks like a princess from fairy-tales, or rather the tender mother of such a princess. She is also very scrupulous when it comes to tidiness.
Rosalie sometimes struggles with her role as a leader, and tends to scold the 506th softly, begging them not to make her job any harder than it is. Considering the various personalities within the unit, these cries are often ignored. Despite this, she still cares dearly for those under her command. She is also passionate in her beliefs, being that nobility lies in the hearts of everyone. While these beliefs are unusual for a noble, it shows that Rosalie hasn't fallen into the trap of seeing herself as higher than others.
While her magic has waned to the point of being unable to fight, she still shows a fair few skills beyond those of a witch. Rosalie has been said to be a fantastic cook, especially in regards to sweets. Flying Officer Kuroda even claimed she could make a living off of them after retirement. Rosalie also seems to be capable of dealing with very high-stress situations, as she tends to take the heat for her unit when they screw up. Due to her unit's initial tendency to litter the news with incidents, this means the amount of paperwork she does is likely greater than many others in her position. She also seems capable of still acting as a leader during dire circumstances, such as the events leading up to the 506th's official establishment as a unit. This is somewhat odd due to her gentle and easily startled nature, however it seems she has a surprising level of mental fortitude.
- Strike Witches Movie (cameo)
- Kuroda short story
- Noble Witches Drama CD
- Her familiar is the Bichon Frise.
- She is based on Rodolphe de Hemricourt de Grunne, the #1 rank Belgian flying ace who died in 1941.
- In her initial reveal, she was classified and established as Belgican to match this, and her nation flag presented as the Flag of Belgica. In 2015, this fact was affirmed in the 2015 Official World Witches profiles, although of curious note is that her nation flag was shown as being the Britannian Flag. It's uncertain why the Britannian flag is shown instead of the Belgican flag as her nation of origin. Speculation arose suggesting that it's possible a reference to her present affiliations to Britannia and it's military post fall of Belgica, or possibly nothing more than an illustration error; but at this time is currently conjecture in either case.
- The 2018 release of the Official World Witches Profile 2 book has shown another confusion of continuity for Rosalie with her 2018 profile showing her nation flag as being the Gallian flag. This further discrepancy raises confusion due to lack of corroborating, official information of any kind of possible retcon of Rosalie as being Gallian instead of Belgican, and how such a discrepancy raises plot holes and continuity errors and muddles the inspiration of her WW2 Belgium ace archetype considering she was long and clearly established as being a Belgican witch. Some theories have been raised that this may be due to wanting a Gallian in the 506th, as it is based in Gallia, though that is merely unsupported speculation.
- Another speculated theory to the 2018 witches profile continuity discrepancy: is Rosalie may have a Belgican/Gallian dual citizen, which while possible; is unsupported and lacking any firm evidence. More likely possibility for the stated discrepancies in the 2018 witch profile for Rosalie is some kind of illustration and/or continuity error, especially in light of how there has yet to be any concise information about wether she is in fact Gallian in the 2018 profile and how prior profiles were very clear on her nation of origin being Belgican; although the note of her duel parentage of Belgican and Gallian aristocracy is consistent across all versions of her witches profile.