Sakamoto Mio (坂本美緒) is an officer and former witch of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, originating from Fuso and affiliated with the Fuso Imperial Navy. She is sometimes referred to by the alias of Samurai (サムライ).
A first-class veteran Witch who won great renown in the preliminary encounters with the Neuroi, such as the Fuso Sea Incident in 1937. In the beginning of her career, Mio was under the guidance of Kitagou Fumika and had a rivalry with Wakamoto Tetsuko. She was one of the first test pilots of the Striker Units using Miyafuji theory. There was also a period when she trained in Romagna. Her teacher at the time, Anna Ferrara, worked her quite hard - causing the then young Fuso girl to resent the older woman to the point of writing insults at her bed. Even now, there are some signs that Mio is conscious of Anna as someone hard to deal with.
Mio was deployed to Britannia since before the Neuroi's full-scale invasion, where she engaged in the development of the Type 0 Striker Unit. It was around this time that she became close acquaintances with Dr. Miyafuji, who spent all his time doing research in Europe. Because she has been living in Europe for a long time, she employs a car with a right hand drive specification.
Mio remained in Europe even after the beginning of the invasion, shouldering part of Europe's defense as a member of the Fuso Imperial Navy European Dispatch Fleet Libau Flying Corps. During this time, Mio used to travel around long distances often. It was in one of such occasions that she first met Wing Commander Wilcke by chance while stopping at a Karlsland Army's base for supplies. She was also acquaintances with Air Commodore Galland (then a Flight Lieutenant), who fought in many battles across Europe.
Following the collapse of Karlsland, Mio continued to defend Libau until the evacuation of the population was over. However, an injury sustained at that occasion forced her to temporarily return to Fuso. She had a good relationship with her superior at the time, Pilot Officer Takei (currently a Flight Lieutenant), and continued to maintain contact with her as a friend even after the evacuation of Libau. She was also friends with Nishizawa Yoshiko. Mio together with these two witches were called the "Libau Triumvirate".
Originally, Mio's rank at her home unit in Fuso was Flight Lieutenant, but she was later promoted to Squadron Leader thanks to her achievements in the 501st Joint Fighter Wing. When talking about that, she once commented how her "actual rank finally became Squadron Leader". After the disband of the 501st JFW due to the liberation of Gallia, she worked as a temporary instructor in a Navy Witches training academy as a form of recreation. However, she retired three months later and afterwards worked hard at training in order to fight with a weakened magic power.
Around that time, Mio requested a reunion with her comrade in arms from the Fuso Sea Incident, Kuroe Ayaka, for the first time in 7 years and showed results in the secret sword technique "Unyou" during the ensuing mock battle. Later, this would become a foothold for the acquisition of the "Reppuzan". Later, she took an extended leave and secluded herself in a mountain to forge a Fuso sword infused with magic power - Reppumaru - in order to subjugate the weakening of her magic shield.
At the final battle against the Neuroi Super-Hive in Venezia, Mio attempted to release a "Reppuzan" in order to save Flying Officer Clostermann and Flight Sergeant Bishop, who had been surrounded by a large number of Neuroi. However, by that point her magic power had already dried up, so not only she was unable to inflict a single damage, but the Reppumaru was sent flying away until it pierced the deck of the Yamato. Nevertheless, she still found a way to remain useful, using her remaining magic power to charge the magic dynamo of the Yamato. The Neuroi-fied ship then used its main cannon to destroy the Super-Hive's outer shell. However, the core itself was not destroyed, but instead absorbed both the Yamato and Mio, becoming capable of generating magic shields through the Witch's power.
Mio was ultimately saved by the sacrifice of Sergeant Miyafuji, who used up all her magic power to perform a Shin Reppuzan and destroy the giant core.
After Fighting the Neuroi for 8 years, Mio retired as a witch. Even after completely losing her magical power, she remains in the military forces and try to support her friends. She gained a good reputation as a teacher among the younger generation, and has reared several excellent witches, but the training was sometimes strict and some could not keep up. However, this comes from the feeling that she doesn't want to lose her comrades, and many young girls dearly adore her.
She puts the whole team together with a fatherly atmosphere, playing an active role in battle as a superior front-line commander. She takes pride in having never lost a wingman.
Broadminded and cheerful, she has a personality that is somewhat candidly mannish and does not fuss over the minor details of daily life. Mio is faithful to moral obligations and humane feelings, even sentimental in a sense. Her favorite motto is "simplicity and fortitude". Hot-blooded, at a glance she seems simply impulsive, but in battle she has both a cool and elaborate thinking and audacious behavior. No matter what kind of dilemma, she always seeks a solution without ever giving up.
She has a fondness for hot springs and was the one who had the idea of constructing a Fuso-style bathhouse at the 501st's base. In the only time Mio was shown using a shower, she did so because she didn't want people to see her crying as a result of her struggles with depleting magic. Despite her tough personality, and positive outlooks, Mio is actually easily moved to tears in general, but never cries in front of others. An exception was during the occasion when she wailed before Wing Commander Wilcke prior to the decisive battle, out of frustration and hopelessness from her magic power drying.
Mio is adored by many Witches due to her personality and military service, but it seems that she herself is unaware of that. Although she is frequently approached by Flying Officer Clostermann from the same team, she believes that the girl's feelings are just those of a diligent subordinate towards their superior and doesn't notice any special favor at all. Wing Commander Wilcke, who had a long fellowship with Mio from since before the unit's formation, also became attached to her, becoming one of her most faithful and intimate companions. From Private Hijikata Keisuke (currently a Warrant Officer), her exclusive underling and chauffeur, Mio receives an absolute respect that borders worship.
Mio has no likes and dislikes regarding food and, so long it is eatable, she will eat anything without fail. On the other hand, she is not very good at cooking herself due to having enrolled in the military since an early age. One of her troubles is the fact that, even though she can prepare a fish, her onigiri turn out round no matter how she tries to make them. Also by piling up training upon training, she mastered the "Higi - Tamagogiri" (秘技・卵斬り, secret technique - egg cutter) that slices an egg in a horizontal line with a Fuso sword.
Mio's inherent magic is called Magic Eye (魔眼, Magan). Classified in the perception-lineage, her right eye can discern things in a far off distant place with super eyesight and even see through a domain that human eyes cannot, normally, perceive. However, this power is still limited to Mio's field of vision and she also cannot use it to see past obstacles, such as structures or dense clouds, as well as being limited during night time. It is also difficult to control and remains permanently active, requiring the use of her eye-patch to cover it when not in use. In combat, this ability is employed for sighting a Neuroi from long-distances and confirming the position of the core in its interior. Incidentally, when Mio is low on magic power, due to injury or simple degradation caused by age, her vision loses its special functions and her right eye becomes a normal eye.
Through the combination of her favorite sword - Reppumaru - that she herself tempered and enchanted, in addition to her excellent sword skills; a new attack - Reppuzan - was eventually acquired. It is a legendary sword technique, used in Fuso since ancient times, that concentrates magic power into the blade of the sword which can then be released, resulting in a slicing wave of magical energy. Reppuzan originally belongs to the telekinetic class of magic, and is extremely difficult for Mio to learn since her magic is not a psychic type.
By using her Striker Unit's mobility and her excellent flying skills, Mio can "see through" a beam and evade it. Eventually, she became unable to use a magic shield, but acquired a new defensive method by "slicing in half" a Neuroi's beam using Reppumaru.
Mio excels at leadership to amass subordinates and is proficient in training not only subordinates but also superiors, guiding their abilities. A training demon, Mio is strict with herself and others, but that is because she is more afraid than anyone else of losing a subordinate. She also has a training-mania side; keeping a pile of questionable training equipment such as kendo armors, bokutou, shinai, bows and arrows, naginata, sandboxes and iron balls in the hangar. Her dream is to rear an excellent subordinate who she can entrust things to afterward. She feels especially responsible for the rearing of Sergeant Miyafuji, the orphan of Dr. Miyafuji, who she is indebted to.
Mio's Shiden Model 53 is the latest model improved for her. Its Ma43 engine is a prototype not yet mass-produced, and it seems that it still has many defects. No markings were made except for the nationality mark and the blue line, but once at the 501st base, a mechanic painted her personal mark on it.
Mio's Type 99 cannon has been remodeled from its original 20mm×101RB specifications - first into a 13.2mm×99 and later into a 12.7mm×99, the latter which is an easy-to-acquire ammunition used by the European Dispatch Corps.
The Reppumaru she uses on the second season is a Fuso sword that she thoroughly tempered by driving her magic power into it.
Mio's Comments On Other Characters
- "Wing Commander Minna is the cornerstone of the Witch unit. The care she shows to her Captains, and the attributes necessary for a Commander... she has everything that a unit leader needs. On top of that, she is an excellent soldier in an air battle. She can be a bit soft on the new recruits, but I suppose that's where I come in. *laugh*"
- "She's a kind girl who finds no joy in fighting, but she joined up recently to protect her homeland when she wanted to be of use to everyone. I'll have to do everything I can to help her become a full-fledged witch as a response to that spirit, I suppose. She has the makings to become a good Commander, with her ability to keep an eye on the whole situation from the rear."
- "Her latent ability is impressive indeed. Not only with regards to her magic, but she also has perseverance and determination. It's my mission and duty to guide her on her path to becoming a full-fledged Witch, for the sake of my, no, the world's benefactor, Dr. Miyafuji."
- "She's of great help to me, helping out with training the rookies, among other things. She used to often be paired with me in a rotte during combat, but she'll be able to handle herself fine without me soon. She can be a bit harsh with Miyafuji, but that's probably because she worries about her. She's a good person. I don't really know why she always speaks so awkwardly around me though..."
- "Ugh, she's an unbelievable little devil. She doesn't follow the rules, and always does as she pleases. However, it is true that Lucchini is a big part of the reason why everyone doesn't lose heart. Somehow, you just can't hate her. She's good friends with Shirley, and their abilities are a good match for each other in a rotte, so those two make a fine pair."
- "I suppose in Fuso we'd call her a true-born child of Edo? I enjoy straight-forward people like that. With regards to Striker outfitting, she's got the abilities to match any mechanic, so she's almost like a poster girl for Liberion, the undisputed king of the automobile. Strangely enough, she gets along very well with Lucchini."
- "I have nothing to criticize regarding her skills as a soldier, but I think she has a tendency to be too hard on herself as well as on others. Considering the current state of Karlsland, it might not be strange, but she really should try to rely a little more her comrades in arms. Oh well, I guess the way she judges herself the hardest is one of her good properties. When it comes to her skills in the air, she's one of the greatest aces together with Hartmann."
- "Flying Officer Hartmann is our unit's ultra ace, and we're very proud of her. She always shows consideration towards you when you fly with her, and you can feel safe when you have her protecting your back. Well, I would like her to change her attitude when it comes to life outside the military, but I guess that's asking for too much. Seems like she's competing with Barkhorn for the most aerial victories. It will be interesting to see how far she can go."
- "It is thanks to Sanya we can all lay down and rest safely during the nights. My magical eye isn't too bad either, but when it comes to seeing far during the night, I don't think anything is better than Sanya's ability. However, it kind of worries me she's so shy and passive. I think it would be good for her to become a little more confident."
- "Hm... She's a strange girl. It's almost as if she's living in another world. I never have any idea of what she's thinking. But she's great all-around in battle, and her ability to never get hit is admirable. She's been paired up with Sanya a lot lately, so she's gotten a lot of experience of fighting during the night, but she always does fine during the day too."
Strike Witches "What If" — 1947
Group Captain Wilcke has a surprising guest late at night in her office: naval officer residing in Fuso Empire, Wing Commander Sakamoto
- This shouldn't be considered entirely canonical, because it was only tweeted by Humikane.
- Strike Witches OVA
- Strike Witches Season 1
- Strike Witches Season 2
- Strike Witches Movie
- Operation Victory Arrow, cameo at the end of Vol.3
- Strike Witches: 501 Butai Hasshin Shimasu!
- Strike Witches: 501 Butai Hasshin Shimasu! Movie
- Strike Witches Road to Berlin
- World Witches: Hasshin Shimasu!!
- Himegoe Voice Albums
- Hime Uta Song Albums
- Himebana Drama Albums
- Himeroku Drama Albums
- Strike Witches Gakuen
- Himegoe CD 2 Voice Albums
- Strike Witches: Otome no Maki
- Strike Witches 2
- Strike Witches Short-Shorts: After the Sky
- Ichimen no Ao
- Koganeiro no Soup
- Strike Witches 2 Visual Short Story
- 500overs in Africa
- Strike Witches the Movie: The sky I want to return to
- Strike Witches the Movie Visual Short Story
- Raise the Battle Ship Yamato in 1945
- Noble Witches: The 506th Joint Fighter Wing (light novel)
- Strike Witches: Memorial Episode Together
- Strike Witches: Maidens in the Sky
- Strike Witches: The Sky That Connects Us
- Strike Witches: Kimi no Kizuna no Katachi
- Strike Witches Zero:1937 Fuso Sea Incident
- Strike Witches Zero:1939 Koukaku no majo
- Strike Witches: 501 Butai Hasshin shimasu!
- Strike Witches Gekijouban: 501 Butai Hasshin shimasu!
- Strike Witches: 501 Butai Hasshin shimasu! Zoku
- Strike Witches: One-Winged Witches
- Strike Witches: Kurenai no Majo-tachi, chapter 12
- World Witches: Contrail of Witches
- Strike witches: Chii Sanya
- Strike witches: Chii Size
- All of them!
- Except for Brave Witches VR: Operation Baba-Yaga
- Mio is based on famous Japanese flying ace Sakai Saburo. He was gifted with an excellent vision and regularly trained his eyes by spotting stars during the daytime, or trying to discern far objects through palm tree leaves. Due to this training, he could spot enemy planes from farther distances than other pilots. He lost his right eye during combat. Mio's eyepatch, scar in her early design, and magic eye are most likely all references to this.
- Her familiar is the Doberman.
- Mio is knowledgeable about the Way of Tea, but doesn't fuss about formal etiquette.
- She appears to be afraid of critters, having fainted upon facing a snake while stranded on an island, as seen in Strike Witches: Maidens in the Sky.
- Strike Witches Official Fanbook Complete File, page 35